Saturday, August 30, 2014

Food for Thought: The Multi-Tasking Reader

The bookworm's ultimate dilemma: so many books to read so little time. However, we combat this age old problem by multi-tasking; two books, three books, four books at a time. But sometimes it simply gets to be too much. But I have a philosophy. 
I've been in a mood lately where I have a billion types of stories I want to read all at the same time. Currently, I'm reading two books; The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and I am about to add on a third, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I started reading the gorgeous and bone chilling Bell Jar, but found that the character's story, falling into madness, was so immersive it became a tad too depressing. So I countered it with the light-hearted cuteness of Lizzie Bennet's Diary, the book counterpart of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries web series (which is too perfect for words). But then of course I watched the 2012 adaptation of Great Expectations, fell in love, and now I have to pick it up as well. And thus I descend into reading madness.
How much is too much?
Well, a lot of books can be hard to handle at one time. However, reading is meant to be a fun and intellectually satisfying  experience. So, why not have it all? The fun books, the sad books, the dramatic, the mysterious, the adventurous, the in between. I think the best way to be a multi-tasking reader is to:
-Read books that contrast so the stories and messages behind them don't blur together.
This way you can pick up different books according to your mood.
-Read what you want! 
Reading is meant to bring you joy and fullfulment, so go for it! :)
What do you think about reading multiple books at once? Is there a limit? Can you focus on many stories, plots, characters, and themes simultaneously? Let me know! 
Much love,
Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment