Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Balmy Blitz: Go bare, get accessorized, make a hot day stylish!

Today was that unnerving kind of hot where you aren't dripping in sweat, it's not sweltering outside but there's just a sort of balminess in the breeze. Sticky. Gross.
Of course, I chose today of all days to clean out and re-organize my entire room, closet, dresser, desk, bathroom, you get the idea. The point is, it wasn't too fun. However, after all my work was accomplished I stepped out of the shower and felt like a new person. And what does every freshly organized girl need on such a day? A stylish ensemble of course!
On hot days I go barefaced, make-up is unnecessary. While this sometimes can make me, being the "hormone crazed" teen that I am, feel self-conscious it makes my face feel free and better equipped to deal with the heat. I highly encourage going bare faced from time to time. As a teen our pores are clogged enough as it is, freeing your skin of thick foundation and other products is a great way to calm down the pores and, on a hot day, fight those heat waves. Don't be afraid to show off your face, be bare and be you! Trust me it's way more liberating than you'd think!
I started off with my trusty pair of boyfriend jeans and a light weight cotton crop. The crop opens in the back, which I think is a must on a hot day like this one.    
                                                                                 
(Shirt: Urban Outfitters, Headband: Forever 21)
(Jeans: American Eagle, Shoes: Steve Madden)     
In the summertime I always end up bored with my shorts. I start to crave my jeans, leggings, and tights. Surprisingly enough boyfriend jeans are a great way to switch things up. I love how light they feel, with plenty of rips and tears to provide air circulation. These have a pretty loose fit which I also like. Boyfriend jeans are classic, simple and look good on virtually every body type. Plus, American Eagle is great on style minus the sticker shock. Seeing as I'm a 17-year-old high school senior, cash is often hard to come by. These jeans were $19.99 and my Steve Madden's were $30 on sale, so, pretty manageable.  
Personally, I've always loved outfits that blur the gender stereotypes. I like to mix things up and not confine myself to one style. In this case, the jeans are more "boyish" but I put a spin on that with the heels, and later, some jewelry and a fun bag. The heels class up the simple look of the jeans and the peep-toes have a very summery vibe. 

Add more to your basic balmy day look with accessories. A simple jean and cotton tee outfit can turn to a full fledged fashion forward ensemble in seconds just by adding a bag, bracelets, rings, and a belt. I always used to be so hesitant with accessories but I've become more willing to use them recently. What I've found is, while there is a line somewhere, basically, you can never have too many accessories. They make an outfit truly shine. Also make sure to give your outfit a pop of color. Brightly colored accessories can really kick an outfit into high gear, You can have a basic colored back drop but liven it up with a colorful piece of jewelry or a purse, anything you like really.  
(Purse: Jazzed, Lace sweater: ALEX Evenings, Rings and bracelet: Hand-crafted, from boutiques in San Francisco and Utah, Belt: Target) 
This balmy and sticky cleaning day turned fun the minute I changed, threw on some accessories but kept my face bare. Take charge of the heat in style. You can be glamorous any day, despite the weather! :)
Keep being style seekers!
Much love,
Aly 
                                                                         

                                                                     





No comments:

Post a Comment